Small Office Home Office Tax Tips

…for business, preserving wealth

Qualifications for claiming an adult as a dependent

For Tax Return/Account TranscriptsThere are several qualifications for claiming an adult as a dependent:
1. You as the taxpayer must provide over 50 percent of your dependent’s living or support costs.
2. Your dependent must either live with you for 12 months or be your parent, grandparent, step-parent, aunt, or uncle.
3. Assuming the person does not have a disability, your dependent cannot have a gross income that exceeds the tax year’s exemption amount. The exemption amount in 2009 is $3,650.
4. Your dependent cannot file a joint return with another person for the year unless that tax filing is only completed in order to claim taxes that had been withheld.
5. Your dependent must be a US citizen, a US national, or a resident of the US, Canada, or Mexico.

A taxpayer may qualify for the Child and Dependent Care Credit if their dependent lives with them for more than 6 months of the year and have physical or mental issues that prevent them from caring for themselves. Visit the IRS website or consult Publication 503, Child and Dependent Care Expenses for further information.

Bookmark and Share

15 thoughts on “Qualifications for claiming an adult as a dependent

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>

This site is protected by WP-CopyRightPro
IRS CIRCULAR 230 DISCLOSURE: IRS regulations require that we inform you that any U.S. federal tax advice contained in this blog is not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of (i) avoiding penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any transaction or matter addressed herein.