Summer Vacation Ideas? Visit the IRS…
There are few summer vacation locations that are open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, and have free admission. Looking for that special place to spend an hour or two and maybe save money? Does your computer have a cable connection, ADSL, or dialup? Consider bringing the entire family together with a bag of potato chips and a six-pack of Diet Coke and visit IRS.gov this summer. This G-rated website, offering entertainment and useful information, will significantly impact your life, your spouse’s life, and the lives of your children and beneficiaries… and you don’t need IMAX or special 3D glasses! Admittedly, the graphics are a bit low-key but all the topics are age-appropriate and can be view without fear of political incorrectness. For example:
- New tax law changes? This most recent Congress has kept you in their mind by enacting new laws that are guaranteed to affect your life both now and in the future… until they reconvene.
- Looking for spare change? The IRS will show you exactly how much you need to withhold on your IRS W-4. The Feds of course, don’t want you to withhold too little or too much income tax from your paycheck! Remember Goldilocks and the Three Bears?
- Want to commit your family estate to charities like the billionaires Bill Gates and Warren Buffet? Join the club. You might however consider sending your spouse and other potential beneficiaries out to the kitchen for more soda while you search IRS Publication 78, Cumulative List of Organizations, for the perfect federal-tax exempt organization. The listings will offer information so that you can consider the size of your tax deductions for your charitable contributions! Just think how good promising to donate all your wealth to charity will make you feel? What a rush!
- Looking for a job? Charity does in fact begin at home. Have you considered the government? The IRS provides information about IRS careers for full-, part-time, and seasonal work. Consider federal employee union membership and the health and retirement benefit plans!
- Need more information like tax forms and tax publications? Looking for fascinating bathroom reading for the guest room? You can download PDFs, view forms and even order tax stuff 24 hours a day.
Don’t be confused or distracted by substitutes; get the real poop at IRS.gov. For those of you more adventurous types limited by neither age-appropriate material nor political correctness, search YouTube.com for IRS Videos. While the majority of the video material is produced by the government, you never know what might pop up! The “real” stuff is valuable and worth the read. Consider previewing the YouTube material in advance but otherwise, dig in and make a night of it!